Chinese Beef Sauce
4 cups (1L) beef stock
1 red onion, halved, sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
4cm-piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
1 cinnamon quill
2 tablespoon soy sauce
750g Coles Australian Beef chuck casserole steak, cut into 3cm pieces
1 tablespoon fish sauce
125g vermicelli noodles
2 bok choy, trimmed, leaves separated
100g snow peas, trimmed, sliced in half diagonally
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup coriander leaves, to serve
1/2 red chili, thinly sliced
1. Place stock, 1L (4 cups) water, onion, garlic, ginger, star anise, cinnamon and soy sauce in a large stockpot.
2. Bring to the boil over high heat.
3. Add beef and reduce heat to low.
4. Simmer, covered for 1 hour, skimming the surface when required.
5. Remove lid and simmer for a further 30 mins.
6. Add fish sauce, noodles, bok choy, snow peas and simmer for 2 mins or until noodles soften and vegetables are tender.
7. Ladle soup into bowls and top with spring onions, coriander, and chili.