- 1 kg fish fillets-cut into 1.5 ” cubes
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup onions-grated
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 Tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1 cup hung yogurt
- 1 cup coriander leaves-chopped
- Green chilies to taste-finely chopped
- 1 tsp biryani masala
- 1/3 cup browned onions
For the Rice:
- 2 cup rice-cleaned and washed
- 2 tsp oil
- 4 cloves
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon-broken
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 cups hot water
- Saffron or color mixed in 1 cup warm milk
- Heat oil and add cumin seeds.
- When they splutter, add onions and ginger-garlic pastes and fry till fat separates.
- Add the garam masala, coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and yogurt and saute till fat separates.
- Mix in the fish and cook over high heat till opaque.
- Mix in the browned onions, coriander, green chillies and biryani masala.
- To make the rice, heat oil and add cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon and cardamoms.
- When they darken a bit, add rice, water and salt.
- Mix well and cook till rice is tender but still holds its shape.
- To serve, put the fish layer at the bottom of the dish, cover with the rice and sprinkle the saffron-milk mixture.
- Keep in an oven for about 15 minutes then mix to break up the layers.
- Serve with CHATKHAAR’S Green Olive Pickle.